8-year-old killed in North Long Beach crash, police say
The boy ran out onto Paramount Boulevard near 56th Street Saturday when he was hit, authorities said.
Police are investigating the death of an 8-year-old boy who was hit by a car in North Long Beach Saturday afternoon.
Long Beach police say the boy ran onto Paramount Boulevard near 56th Street around 4:39 p.m. when he was hit a man driving a 2020 Honda Civic southbound on Paramount.
Long Beach Fire Department personnel gave medical aid to the child before transporting him to a local hospital, according to authorities. The boy later died of his injuries, police said.
The driver of the Honda, a 27-year-old Paramount resident, remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators, according to the LBPD.
Police said they do not believe speed, distracted driving or driving under the influence were factors in the crash.
“Our hearts are with this young child’s family, and everyone affected by this terrible traffic collision,” Police Chief Wally Hebeish said Monday. “This is a heartbreaking reminder of how quickly unexpected tragedies can occur and is a solemn reminder of the importance of doing all we can to ensure everyone’s safety on our roadways.”
This is the 23rd traffic fatality reported by the LBPD in 2026. Last year, the department reported 56 traffic-related fatalities from 53 crashes, making it the deadliest year on the road since at least 1990, when the city reported 51 deaths, according to LBPD data from a public records request by the Watchdog.
The LBPD reported 18 traffic fatalities by this time last year.
We need your support.
Subcribe to the Watchdog today.
The Long Beach Watchdog is owned by journalists, and paid for by readers like you. If independent, local reporting like the story you just read is important to you, support our work by becoming a subscriber.